Wednesday, February 5, 2020

Kahoot! VS Quizizz




            I usually use Kahoot! and Quizizz a lot in class especially for lower forms. This is a great tool to create a fun and interactive class. I came across these kind of applications since 2017 which when I was still in university. So, I do not have problem understanding the concept of how it was done. The great thing about these applications is that there are a bunch of quiz and template created by other people that you can copy and duplicate to make it suitable for your class. I find it super convenience and helpful as this will ease the time taken to create the questions.


            For today’s class, we will do a revision session for Formative test 1 which will cover topic integer and BODMAS (Bracket, Division, Multiplication, Addition and Subtraction) the objective of today’s class is that to make sure the students are able to answer questions on basic BODMAS. This kind of activity is so fun when I did with lower forms, especially form 1 students.

            Today I manage to book the multimedia room so each student can have their own computer. This is the first time I managed to book this room as usually it was fully booked. So, I spent 5 to 10 minutes explaining to the students on how to open the computer and key in the password. Then after everything is settle, I asked them to search Quizizz first. Then I asked them to key in the code for that specific quiz I want them to participate.




            Here comes the first problem. Some of them manage to get in and some of them get in and directly can start the quiz, bare in mind, I did not click the start button yet. Other than that, there are some students that cannot even register their name. So, I need to call the technician to help this sorted. Then only I know that it has something to do wit not strong internet connection. I did know that our school now have a bit problem with internet connection, but I never have this experience yet. This is so new to me. The technician emphasise that maybe only for this application as it need a better connection.

            Then, luckily I did create another quiz through Kahoot!. I asked the students to search Kahoot! And enter their name and key in the code. Thank God this application does not need a very strong connection.




We manage to get in and all the students manage to answer the questions. But after two questions, I realised that some student gave a wrong answer although the questions is an easy one. Then, some of the students raise their hand and say that they could not see the answer correctly as the projector is a bit lowered. I need to improvise on the dot and I came up with an interactive kind of solution.


Normally, the students will sit down at their place, see the questions and answer and click the right answer. But after we did some impromptu solution to our problem, the students need to stand in front of the slide to make it fair for everyone. After they see the questions they need to see the answer and go back to their place and click the right answer. It was so chaotic at first but after the second try, they all manage to do it smoothly.


Everyone is pretty hype for this kind of activity. Although we did not have a good start, but we manage to do it and have fun. All of the students manage to answer all three set of questions that I have prepared. I am a happy teacher J but for the last set I did prepare three questions Higher Thinking Order Skills (HOTS) questions. There are only 3 students that cannot answer the questions as they have problem understanding the english. I then asked one of the students to explain and I add on a few things as reminder for them.

Thank God we can still finished the class on time although we have some glitch. By the end of the class all of the students understand all of the questions asked today in class.

Click the link below will lead you to the application that I used above, Kahoot! And Quizizz.  I hope you like it J
                   

If you wanted to see how my students play and react to this game click the link below J


XOXO,
Miss Nadia Nordin
Thursday class with 1 Creative
05.02.2020